Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Must read: Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

I just started reading Bridget Jones’s Diary for the second time! Although I (fortunately!!!)  can not identify myself with the main character, I really enjoy Jones’s humor. I also saw the movie and when reading it I picture myself Renée Zellweger and her round cheeks.  You can order the book on www.ebay.com or download it from here.

Source: www.imdb.com/title/tt0243155/
Some of my favorite quotes:
“I looked at her wistfully, her vast, bulbous bottom swathed in a tight red skirt with a bizarre three-quarter-length striped waistcoat strapped across it. What a blessing to be born with such Sloaney arrogance. Perpetua could be the size of a Renault Espace and not give it a thought. How many hours, months, years, have I spent worrying about weight while Perpetua has been happily looking for lamps with porcelain cats as bases around the Fulham Road? She is missing out on a source of happiness, anyway. It is proved by surveys that happiness does not come from love, wealth or power but the pursuit of attainable goals: and what is a diet if not that?”

“Completely exhausted by entire day of date-preparation. Being a woman is worse than being a farmer there is so much harvesting and crop spraying to be done: legs to be waxed, underarms shaved, eyebrows plucked, feet pumiced, skin exfoliated and moisturized, spots cleansed, roots dyed, eyelashes tinted, nails filed, cellulite massaged, stomach muscles exercised.”
“'Mother,' I said. 'Tom has known he was a homosexual since he was ten.'
'Oh, darling! Honestly' You know how people get these silly ideas. You can always talk them
out of it.'
'Does that mean if I talked to you really persuasively you'd leave Dad and start an affair with
Auntie Audrey?'”
I promise to be back with more as I go on with the reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment